Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A New Wrinkle - A Font of Information

Now Certified Lint Free!

As if I didn't have enough little distractions, FontStruct has come along. I have always had an addiction to pens, calligraphy, and creating my own fonts and, apparently, at least concerning the last of those, I am not alone.

There is a type creation and generation application on the FontStruct web site. It started as a tease to get people to notice the products for purchase but was almost instantly so popular that the number of visitors crashed their servers. You may convert your compendium of squiggles into a True Type font, selfishly keep it exclusively yours - or, do what thousands have done and, make it available to the world.

I would venture to say that the majority of efforts will not be consistently reliable for use in your doctoral thesis or job resume but they might inspire you or spice up some email correspondence.

I have so far resisted the urge to fritter away the hours I know I would devote to stems and serifs but the tools are there to create as simple or elaborate a font as you please. I will not be held responsible for your claims of being an enabler. I'm just sharing the wealth.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I absolutely refuse to click that link. I have distractions enough!